*** PUBLIC ADVISORY ***
As the Holiday Season approaches, the Santa Clara Police Department recommends the following safety tips for protecting your personal safety and property.
- Use automatic timers for lights, radios and televisions.
- Join with neighbors to watch for suspicious persons and vehicles.
- Do not leave gifts / packages near doors and windows.
When out for the evening:
- Turn on lights, a television or radio to give the appearance someone is home.
- Secure all doors and windows. Use auxiliary locks.
- Remain alert of your surroundings. Shop with a partner.
- Carry minimal amounts of cash; use credit cards for purchases.
- Avoid carrying multiple packages at one time.
- Carry your purse or wallet close to your body.
- Instruct children to go to a police officer or security guard if they get separated from you.
When shopping via the Internet:
- Shop with familiar merchants or companies.
- Keep passwords private; use letters and numbers in combination.
- Use a secure browser.
- Pay by credit card.
Additional information for a safe and happy Holiday Season is available at the Santa Clara Police Department’s Crime Prevention Unit. The telephone number is (408) 615-4876. Any suspicious activity or persons should be reported to the Police Department’s non-emergency number—(408) 615-5580.
Release prepared by:
Lt. Matt Hogan
Administrative Services Division