- Establish family rules that make it clear that drug use will not be tolerated.
- Educate yourself about drugs so that you can talk informatively with your children and answer their questions.
- Spend time with your children listening to their concerns and showing how much you love and care for them.
- Recognize that you are their important role model.
- Because peer pressure is a major factor in teen drug use, know your children’s friends.
- Talk with other parents. Try to establish uniform rules that make access to drugs harder, such as a curfew and the amount of spending money they receive. If a problem exists, get help! Don't say “Not my child!”
- Teach them about the many positive alternatives to drug use.
Please join with us and D.A.R.E. to keep our kids off drugs!
For more information on the Santa Clara Police Department Community’s D.A.R.E. program, contact Sgt. Gabby Seagrave at 615-4866. For more information on D.A.R.E., go to http://dare.com.