Sexual Assault Prevention
Know the Facts About Rape
- Rape is a violent crime - a hostile attack - an attempt to hurt and humiliate. It is NOT the result of "uncontrolled passions."
- Rape can happen to anyone. Students, working women, wives, mothers, children, grandmothers, and even males are the victims of rape.
- Rape can occur anywhere and at any time, in public or in your own home, day or night.
- Rapists are not necessarily strangers. In fact, in over one-third of reported cases, the rapist is an acquaintance, neighbor, friend or relative of the victim.
- Rape is one of the most underreported crimes. The majority of rapists continue until caught. So report any kind of sexual assault.
Copyright Long Beach Police Department Community Safety Pamphlet.