Applicants, at time of filing, must have the following qualifications.
Education and Experience
- Must have completed sixty (60) semester units or ninety (90) quarter units of academic level courses at an accredited college or university with no experience required; or thirty (30) semester units or forty-five (45) quarter units of academic level courses at an accredited college or university and two (2) years full-time, paid, recent police experience with a sheriff's department, state police, highway patrol, or municipal police department. Certification of required education must be provided at time of appointment.
- A medical examination will be required.
Physical and Other Requirements
- Must be at least 20 years of age at time of application filing and 21 years of age at time of job appointment.
- Must have the strength and physical ability necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Must be willing to be fingerprinted.
- Vision requirements: Vision including color, night, depth, and peripheral vision sufficient to perform all of the essential functions of the position; visual acuity of not less than 20/80 vision in each eye uncorrected, and corrected to 20/30 in each eye. Exception: Applicants with correction afforded by soft contact lenses are exempt from the minimum uncorrected vision standard of 20/80, provided their corrected vision is 20/30 in each eye. Hearing, speech, and mental capabilities sufficient to perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Candidates are required to pass the following City examinations prior to being given a conditional offer of employment: Written, oral, physical ability, polygraph, and background investigation. If given a conditional offer of employment, candidates must also pass medical and psychological examinations prior to appointment.
- Citizenship requirement: Pursuant to Government Code Section 1031, applicants must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
License and Certificate
- Possession of an appropriate valid California driver’s license is required.
- Proof of completion of a Basic Peace Officer Academy certified by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training is required at time of application.
- Required to work a basic workweek consisting of four 10-hour workdays. May be required to work odd and unusual hours, including weekends and designated holidays, and to be subject to callback in the performance of job duties.