Teach Your Children
- To memorize their full names and address, including city and state.
- To memorize their telephone number, including area code.
- To use both push-button and dial telephones to make emergency, local, and long distance calls and how to reach the operator.
- To always check in with you or a neighbor immediately after arriving home.
- Never to go into your home if the door is open or a window is broken.
- How to work door and window locks and to lock them.
- How to get out of the home quickly in case of fire.
- How to answer the doorbell and telephone when they are home alone.
- Not to go into anyone else’s home without your permission.
- Never go anywhere with another adult unless you have made arrangements ahead of time. Adopt a family code word to use if you have to ask a third party to pick up your children.
- To avoid walking or playing alone.
- That a stranger is someone neither you nor they know well.
- To run to the nearest public place, neighbor, or safe house if they feel they are being followed.
- To tell you if anyone asks them to keep a secret, offers them gifts or money, or asks to take their picture.
- To always tell you if something happened while they were away from you that made them feel uncomfortable in any way.
Last updated: 9/10/2009 12:14:56 PM