The Santa Clara Police Department’s Citizens’ Police Academy (CPA) is a 12-week program intended to provide participants with an overview of the Police Department's functions and operational procedures.
The curriculum and teaching methods are similar to those of the regular Police Academy, with a mix of lecture format and scenario/ hands-on training. The weekly sessions are not intended to train participants to be Police Officers but are designed to help create a citizenry that is both familiar and comfortable with their Police Department.
The classes are taught by officers and civilian employees from throughout the department. Participants will have ample opportunity to speak with various instructors as well as the Command Staff.
Participants are encouraged to ask questions and to express their views and concerns to members of the Department. Participants will be asked to critique the various instructors as well as the overall academy experience.
Selection Process and Requirements
Members of the CPA are selected by the Chief of Police through an application process. Potential candidates for the CPA must meet the following requirements:
- At least 21 years of age
- A resident of Santa Clara (or have strong ties to the city)
- Willing to undergo a modified background check
- Not convicted of any felonies
- Not convicted of any misdemeanors within one year of application
- All contacts (such as a speeding ticket or an arrest) with any law enforcement agency during the course of the class must report the information to the class coordinator as soon as possible.
Any of the above requirements may be waived or modified upon review and approval of the Chief of Police.
Applications are being accepted until December 31, 2013, for the 2014 sessions. The tentative CPA dates are as follows:
Spring Session - Thursdays, January 30 – May 8 from 6:00-9:30pm
• No class February 20 or April 17
• CPA Saturday, April 26, 8:00am-4:00pm
Fall Session - Wednesdays, September 10 – December 10 from 6:00-9:30pm
• No class November 26
• CPA Saturday, November 15, 8:00am-4:00pm
To be considered and/or for more information, contact Carolyn McDowell at (408) 615-4892 or email@example.com or complete the application (PDF) and return it to:
Santa Clara Police Department
601 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, California 95050