Many of the same precautions taken to discourage burglars may also discourage arsonists and vandals. By taking a few preventive steps, you can help curb these crimes:
- Most vandalism occurs in the evenings and on weekends so set up prevention techniques accordingly.
- Post anti-vandalism signs as a deterrent.
- Schedule custodial crews at night.
- Provide a means of incentive for reporting vandalism.
- Keep local law enforcement agencies informed about acts of vandalism to your property.
- Repair damage promptly: the sooner you repair vandalism, the less chance there will be more vandalism.
Encourage community participation with newspapers, radio and television are good methods of mobilizing the community to be concerned and watch for vandalism and arson.